In your business, getting your product to its destination at the lowest cost and with the least amount of time is what creates profitability. It stands to reason if you can identify your largest costs and your most significant time disrupters, you should be able to grow your bottom line.
It turns out one of the biggest challenges for a fleet management business is the cost of fuel. That makes sense since it is the lifeblood of your fleet. Without it, your freight doesn’t move. And unfortunately, you have little ability to control the price per gallon.
The second part of the profitability equation is impacted by the time it takes your drivers to obtain fuel. Drivers can spend time waiting in line for a pump, dealing with outdated and slow pumps, or waiting in line again to pay for purchases. All those minutes spent at the fueling station are minutes your freight is standing still.
What can you do to lower fuel costs and save money?
Implementing a Cardlock program provides a wide array of benefits for drivers and business owners alike. These cards allow drivers to fill-up 24/7/365 at any station on the card’s network. For example, the GP Energy Cardlock Fueling Program includes access to over 125,000 sites nationwide via the CFN Fleetwide and Pacific Pride Networks. Because these stations are dedicated to customers on the network, it is fast and easy to fill up—most even have high-speed diesel dispensers.
Can’t any credit card work as well as Cardlock?
No. Despite the benefits of Cardlock for fleet management, many business owners continue to provide popularly branded credit cards instead. Here are just some of the benefits those businesses are losing out on:
- You are in control of fuel costs. Cardlock programs provide you the ultimate control of what can be purchased by employees nationwide. With these programs, it’s simple to set card controls restricting the amount of fuel that can be purchased within a particular timeframe. Plus, you won’t have to worry about slippage as convenience store items can no longer be hidden as seemingly legitimate fuel expenses.
- Your drivers experience less downtime. Since it’s faster to fill up at these stations, drivers can quickly get the fuel they need and be back on the road towards their destinations in less time. Fuel stations on the network are strategically placed near frequently traveled routes with easy accessibility. Pumps are self-serve even in states where self-serve is restricted, so drivers don’t need to wait for assistance.
- You can rest easy the accounts are safe. Because of the restrictions placed for gallon and product controls, day and time restrictions, and other limits, these cards are far less susceptible to fraud or misuse. And since they can only be used for purchases in the network, they are less attractive for thieves and cybercriminals.
- You have important data for business planning. These programs provide robust reporting to easily see which drivers are using more fuel or to identify those units that may be refueling too far from the designated route. With information at their fingertips, managers have the tools they need to plan the most efficient routes for their drivers.
- You can get better fuel pricing. Some fueling stations on a Cardlock network feature discount pricing for cardholders. By searching for locations that offer network discounting, fleets can realize significant savings.
With these features in mind, there’s no reason a fleet management business shouldn’t have a Cardlock program in place. It’s simply the smartest way to run a business and optimize the bottom line. Give us a call today for more information about how you can implement a program for your operations. At GP Energy, we have access to all the tools to make your refueling business successful.