Grabbing a quick cup of coffee at the local convenience store has been a habit for many Americans for quite some time. Travelers rely on a hot coffee beverage to get them from one fill-up to another. A successful coffee service is profitable and can entice more customers to stop at your gas station and store. As more people return to the office and hit the roads to travel, here are some essential tips for making your coffee program profitable.
- Quality rules. Long gone are the days when customers were content to buy a plain cup of black coffee with a few generic sugar packets and a little container of nebulous half-and-half. Most of today’s repeat customers prioritize quality and will frequent convenience stores that meet their expectations. Successful coffee counters keep their coffee freshly brewed or offer bean-to-coffee production. The coffee must taste good, and having a variety of flavors and decaffeinated options will also increase sales.
- Hand prepared is a plus. While high-quality self-serve coffee options are available to make selling coffee efficient, many coffee drinkers prefer hand-prepared beverages. By offering lattes to mochas and freezes, your convenience store has the ability to be a one-stop-shop for a visit to the coffee drive-thru and fill-up at the pump. Frozen coffees are particularly popular during the summer months, and providing this selection may differentiate you from coffee counters at your competition.
- Cleanliness matters. Customers are unlikely to want to purchase beverages from coffee bars that are messy or appear unsanitary. Make sure an employee is assigned to the coffee counter to keep the beverages fresh, cups and lids stocked, counters wiped clean, and garbage removed. Your coffee counter should look as neat and professional as the major coffee shops across the country.
- Partner with a reputable supplier. Partnering with an experienced and successful coffee supplier will make offering this service more manageable and profitable for your business. Experienced coffee suppliers know what sells well in your area and will work with your team to get the program up and running. For example, GP Energy’s premium coffee program is designed to help businesses satisfy customer needs, gain repeat business, and attract new customers.
- Train your employees well. Whether your counter is self-serve or a full-service customized experience, your employees should understand the different types of coffee available, how to answer customers’ questions, and be able to operate all the pieces of equipment. Engaged employees will also help to keep inventory levels stocked well and keep you apprised of customer requests.
If you’re interested in revamping your counter to make your coffee program profitable, contact GP Energy today!
GP Energy can help. We work with convenience store owners every day to help them understand the needs of their local customers and implement product lines and services to increase their bottom-line profitability. By partnering with GP Energy, we can help your business unlock its potential with new opportunities and achieve unimaginable success. Contact us today, and let’s get started.