The U.S. Department of Energy is a strong supporter of hydrogen fuel. Our government relies on advancements in hydrogen technology to help our country achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 while simultaneously creating good-paying jobs and growing our nation’s economy. One of the ways the DOE promotes hydrogen fuel is through a program called “Hydrogen Shot.”
The DOE launched the Hydrogen Shot program on June 7, 2021. Its goals are to encourage innovation and technologies that will help reduce the cost of clean hydrogen by 80%. That means reducing the price of hydrogen fuel to $1 per 1 kilogram in 1 decade (“111.”)
Awards provided under the Hydrogen Shot program:
- $36 million for clean hydrogen projects.
- $20 million for demonstration projects to generate hydrogen from nuclear energy.
- $8 million for research projects to simulate the integration of clean hydrogen onto the energy grid at scale.
Why is the DOE putting dollars behind hydrogen fuel technologies?
According to their 2022 report, “Hydrogen, as a versatile energy carrier and chemical feedstock, offers advantages that unite all of our nation’s energy resources—renewables, nuclear, and fossil fuels—and enables innovations in energy production and end uses that can help decarbonize three of the most energy-intensive sectors of our economy: transportation, electricity generation, and manufacturing.”
Some of the key benefits of hydrogen energy they note in their report include:
- It can be produced from several domestic resources, reducing reliance on one source material, and can be used in many U.S. sectors or exported.
- It has the highest energy content by weight of all known fuels. It holds three times the power of gasoline.
- Burning hydrogen fuel results in zero carbon emissions.
- Communities can use it to enhance energy grid stability.
- Non-transportation industries such as steel and cement manufacturing can use it to power their facilities.
Why are programs like Hydrogen Shot important to your business?
Government-funded programs like Hydrogen Shot are a strong indicator that fuel demands will be changing in the future. As more consumers and businesses learn about the benefits of hydrogen fuel cell technology and its ability to provide sufficient power without relying on gasoline and diesel, the demand for hydrogen fuel cell vehicles will increase dramatically. PowerTap Hydrogen works with fuel station owners to prepare them for future demands like this.
PowerTap Hydrogen allows fuel station owners to produce hydrogen fuel on-site, with a production unit taking up less than 1,000 square feet of space. Our units can produce over 1,250 kg of pure hydrogen each day using only city water, natural gas, and electricity. With PowerTap Hydrogen, it’s possible to produce fuel at less than $2 per kilogram–that’s about $9 less than purchasing hydrogen fuel from a wholesaler or producing it onsite via alternative solutions.
If you’re interested in diversifying your current product mix or would like to begin a journey in the exciting future of alternative energy solutions, contact our team at PowerTap Hydrogen today. We’d love to show you how easy it is to be a part of the hydrogen fuel revolution.