Hydrogen Fuel is Set to Power Our Needs–Is Your Business Ready?
Take your station to the forefront: Experts anticipate hydrogen fuel will reach at-scale adoption across energy sectors by 2030. The industry will employ 700,000 people, and hydrogen fuel will annually create revenues of $140 billion. By 2050, those numbers will increase to 3.4 million jobs and $750 billion in revenue. Will your fuel station be ready for these new consumer demands?
Why hydrogen fuel?
There are many reasons why so much focus and investment is being placed on hydrogen fuel. Here are just a few of the top ones:
- Improves our air quality. The transportation sector alone is responsible for one-third of the carbon dioxide emissions entering the atmosphere in the United States. Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles (FCEVs) have no harmful tailpipe emissions–they only emit water vapor and warm air.
- Increases national energy security. The United States can produce sufficient hydrogen fuel supply for our nation’s needs, reducing our reliance on global resources. In fact, as global demand for hydrogen increases, we will have opportunities to export fuel and generate greater GDP.
- Creates jobs. Because of the opportunities to provide energy domestically and internationally, millions of jobs will be created in the building of infrastructure and equipment as well as operating the fuel production facilities.
- Performs well. It is fast and simple for vehicles using hydrogen to refuel. A typical car can refuel in as little as 4 minutes, and a commercial semi-truck requires 15 minutes or less. According to Commerical Motor’s article, “A closer look at hydrogen-fuelled trucks” (2019), FCEV semi-trucks have more horsepower and accelerate twice as fast as diesel trucks.
- Is safe for the environment. Being a natural element, hydrogen fuel does not create the natural disasters that result from gasoline and diesel spills. Being the lightest element, hydrogen at room temperature dissipates quickly instead of pooling on the ground. A flame produces minimal radiant heat, which reduces the risk of igniting secondary fires. When released into the air, there are no adverse effects on the environment or human health. Fuel distributors and retailers can implement simple safety precautions, including using secured storage tanks, leak detection systems, and safety valves to prevent uncontrolled hydrogen release and fuel loss.
BEV vs. FCEV commercial truck comparison:
|Electric – Lion 8||480 kWh||250 miles||2 to 5 tons|
|Hydrogen – Nikola One||250 kWh||500 – 750 miles||2.5-3 tons|
If you want to take your station to the forefront of the transportation fuel revolution, contact GP Energy today!
GP Energy and the Andretti Group make it easy for fuel stations to provide this innovative product to consumers. Our patented system allows businesses to produce hydrogen fuel on-site in less than 1000 square feet of space and access to city water, natural gas, and electricity. With GP Energy and PowerTap Hydrogen, we’ve eliminated the need for businesses to forecast hydrogen demands, wait for fuel deliveries, manage large storage systems, and the risk of running out of fuel. PowerTap allows you to have the right amount of fuel available to meet your customers’ needs.